Midland DYB Ground Rules_Repl 02152018Updated Friday March 2, 2018 by BEN BARRS.
2017 Midland Baseball League Ground Rules
1. No tobacco products are allowed on the field, in or around the dugout during games or practice.
2. Only players on the roster and three (3) approved coaches will be allowed in the dugout during the game. Another Coach is to be named per team to come into a game if a regular coach cannot be there for any reason. This shall include absence, ejection, having to arrive late to the game or having to leave the game early. At no time will a player be allowed on the field to coach for the safety of the child. Exception 1: Four (4) approved Coaches' Pitch coaches are allowed in the dugout. (Adopted May 2011)
3. Coaches allowed on the field: See Dixie Youth Rule 4.05.
4. The home team is responsible for securing all field equipment (Amended January 2018).
5. Ejection: See Dixie Youth Rule 9.05 (A, B, & C)
If a coach is ejected from a game, he must leave the playing area. The coach must be out of sight and sound of the playing area. If the coach refuses to leave, the game shall be forfeited to the opposing team. After ejection from the game, the coach is suspended from his next game. The Board must reinstate the coach. If a coach feels his ejection was unwarranted, he may appeal to the Board in writing within twenty-four (24) hours of the ejection. Letters must be presented to the president or player agent. Suspension is defined as being out of sight and sound of the playing area and not present at the playing area before, during or after the game. In the event the suspended party has a child playing in the game, the suspended party may watch his/her child’s game from inside his/her vehicle at the outfield fence. The suspended party is not allowed to leave his/her vehicle for any reason, including using the restroom. Penalty: Violation of a suspension is an automatic forfeiture of the ballgame.
6. Any coach with two ejections upheld by the Board within a season will be ineligible to coach an All-Star team, either as head coach or assistant.
7. Anyone (umpire, player, board member, coach, spectator) using profanity shall be ejected from the playing area and suspended until reinstated by the Board.
8. Any coach, umpire, board member, player or spectator that touches or bumps will be suspended no less than two (2) games in addition to the mandatory one (1) game suspension for ejection.
9. All scorebooks must be kept in ink or risk forfeiture if protested. The home team scorebook is the official scorebook. It is the responsibility of the head coach to secure a capable scorekeeper.
10. At the completion of the game, the manager must sign the official game form indicating who won and lost the game, who pitched and how many innings were pitched. Innings pitched must be marked in each scorebook.
11. All teams must participate in the Fun Day activities. If any team of any league does not participate in the activities, the head coach (manager) must sit out the next two (2) consecutive games. Raffles are acceptable provided one-half of the proceeds are given to Midland Baseball. The remaining one-half of the proceeds, if retained, are to be applied to team functions. Teams having raffles must also have a Fun Day activity.
12. All teams must clean their area of the field after each game. This includes the area around the stands, foul line fences and dugout.
13. All head coaches and first assistant coaches are required to attend a coach’s clinic each year. Dates and times of the clinics will be announced.
14. Certification is required for all head coaches/managers and first assistant coaches.
15. No coach is allowed to umpire a game within his/her own league.
16. The Board will subject any coach, assistant coach, or team not attending or participating in mandatory events to disciplinary action.
17. Time limits for mandatory practices are two (2) hours for T-Ball and Coaches Pitch and two and a half hours (2.5) for Minors and Ozone. There is no mandatory practice on Wednesday and Sunday.
18. All head coaches and first assistants are required to be active participants in a majority of practices and games.
19. Head Coach can only name one 1st Assistant prior to draft, one time per division, during his/her tenure. (Minor, Ozone, T-Ball, C-Pitch) If an assistant is not named, Coach can name an existing or new player’s parent after the draft. If the 1st Assistant were to leave the league or move divisions, Head Coach can name a new 1st Assistant prior to the following year’s draft.
20. Pitch Count Regulations: Minor and Ozone League. The pitch count for minors is 75 pitches per day and no more than 6 innings per week. 30 pitches and under, pitcher can throw the following day. 31-45 requires one (1) calendar day rest, 46-65 requires two (2) calendar days rest, 66-75 (Minors)/66-85 (Ozone) require 3 calendar days rest. Pitch count for Ozone is 85 per day and no more than 6 innings per week. The above is to be followed by Ozone. Exception: If a pitcher reaches his/her limit for Minors or Ozone, the pitcher may continue to pitch until that batter reaches base or is put out. See Dixie Youth Baseball Rule 8.07 (1, 2, 3 & 4) (Adopted on 02/18/17)
1. Any child assigned to a team will be allowed only three (3) unexcused absences, after which the player may be dropped from the roster. The reason for such action must be in writing by the team manager and submitted to the player agent. The documentation will be reviewed prior to any action being taken.
2. A player may be placed on the bench by the manager for disciplinary actions, such as missing practice, misbehavior, etc. All disciplinary action must be filed in writing with the player agent.
3. Any player not participating in a game for any reason must be reported to the home plate umpire, opposing manager and scorekeeper prior to the game.
4. (Ozone and Minor League) All Players will bat one time through then it will go to a 9- player lineup. All players must play three (3) defensive outs, and Free Sub on Defense. (Coaches Pitch) All players must play two (2) consecutive innings, and All Coaches Pitch players in batting lineup the entire game. Free sub on defense.
5. All players on the roster who are available to play must play regardless of the number of players available by the opposing team. We do not accept Local League Option 2. See Dixie Youth Rule 3.03(d)(l); 3.03(d)(2) Note 1 and 2. Penalty: Violation of this rule shall result in forfeiture of the game in the event the violating team is the winning team.
1. During all games the catcher must wear a throat protector and a protective cup. This rule is mandatory in all leagues.
2. Chin straps and face guards are required on all batting helmets. See Dixie Youth Rule 1.16 (d)
3. Bats used during games in all leagues must adhere to Dixie Youth standards. We do accept the Local League Option to restrict the use of 2 5/8” bats in any age division in local league in play. The use of 2 5/8” bats can only be used in the Ozone League. See Dixie Youth Rule 1.10 (b).
4. Equipment will be logged and signed out to each head coach at Draft. Prior to Closing Ceremonies, each head coach will log and sign in equipment with Board Member assigned to receive equipment. If equipment is not returned, the team will not be allowed to participate in Closing Ceremonies.
5. Every child must wear Midland DYB League issued uniforms. If a team as a whole shows up in non Midland DYB League issued uniforms. Penalty: Violation of this rule shall result in automatic forfeiture of the game. (Jan 2012) Any changes in league issued uniforms should be approved by the Board. (Adopted 3-16-12)
1. The manner for selecting newly available players for each team shall be by tryouts or draft at which time each team may select one (1) of the available players in rotation. The rotation of the draft shall be determined by drawing from a hat. Coaches cannot trade their draft pick numbers. The rotation will be revised after each round. The team with the highest number of players will not have a draft pick until all teams have that number of players. (example: One team has 8 players and another team has 3 players, the team with 3 players must have 8 players before the team with 8 players can have a draft pick.) After all teams have an equal number of players, the rotation of the draft will continue until all players are selected. See By-Laws Article 5 Section 1.
2. The manager of a team may have his child assigned to the team provided the child is not an established player on another team of the same league.
3. The first assistant coach may also have his/her child assigned to the team provided the child is not an established player on another team in the same league. If the child is assigned to the team, this will result in the loss of the first eligible round draft pick. 1st Assistant will be required to stay with head coach for
2 years, until out of the division, or moves from area.
4. A manager will not lose a draft pick for his/her child in any round.
5. Any player who does not attend tryouts will be removed from the draft list. The names of these players will be placed in a hat and picked in rotation at the end of draft to fill the necessary teams. See By-Laws Article 5 Section 2.
6. Any player registering after the draft: See By-Laws Article 5 Section 3.
7. All hardship cases must be submitted in writing at the time of registration. Hardships will be voted on in the draft room by the head coaches and the head coaches would decide which round draft pick, if appropriate, the coach would lose for the hardship.
8. If the child is an established player, a trade approved by both sides can only move him, including the parents, coaches and the members of the Board. All trades must be made no later than seven (7) days prior to the first game of the season.
a. No established player can change divisions within their league (NO EXCEPTIONS) (Jan 2012)
b. Ride Letters and No-Pick letters must be given to Player Agent at least 7 days prior to Draft. (01/2016)
9. Established players wanting to go into the draft must be approved by the Board. A written request must be submitted to the Board at the time of registration. If a player is approved to go back into the draft, the team losing the established player will receive a draft choice at the end of the round in which the established player was drafted.
10. If a child is permitted to go back into the draft via a letter of request to the board, child cannot exercise “No Pick” option. Parent cannot be obtained as1st Assistant to in order for child not to be in the draft.
11. Once the draft rotation gets to the minimum number of 8,10, or 12 years old they are to be placed on the team that needs to meet requirement of Dixie Youth Baseball League rules.
1. Games shortened by reasons of curfew, rain or other acts of God shall be regulation games provided both teams have batted four (4) times or in the case of the home team leading after three and one half (3 1/2) innings. In the event of a tie, the game will be rescheduled and resumed at the exact point of termination. The action taken must be marked in both scorebooks and signed by the umpire.
2. Games shortened by the above that do not qualify as a regulation game, will be rescheduled and resume from the exact point of termination. This action must be marked in both scorebooks and signed by the umpire.
3. Rained out games for all leagues will be played on Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday. Wednesday games will be played at 6:00 and 8:00 p.m. Saturday games will be played between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Only the league president or player agent may change the scheduled times if deemed necessary. Monday and Tuesday will make up on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday will make up on Saturday. Sunday games, if necessary, will be played at 1:30 and 4:00 p.m.
4. When a team is ten (10) runs ahead after three (3) complete innings of play and the game is called because of time limits, darkness, rain or other acts of God, it shall be a regulation game. If the game is not considered a regulation game, it will be rescheduled and resume at the exact point of termination. (Minors&Ozone) (See C-Pitch Rules for run rule)
5. Time limits for T-Ball games shall be one (1) hour. Time limits for Coaches' Pitch games shall be one and one half (l 1/2) hours. Time limits for Minor League games shall be one hour and forty-five minutes (1 hour 45 minutes). Ozone games shall be two (2) hours. Both coaches and umpires must be in agreement of the exact time the game starts and time must be recorded in the home team scorebook by the umpire.There will be no time limits on championship games (Jan2012).
6. Time limits: Games that are tied at the end of the time limit will continue play. The game shall be considered an extra inning game. Note: If it is the first game of a double header, there will be a thirty (30) minute time period added. If it is the second game, no inning shall start after 10:00 pm for coach pitch league or 10:30 p.m for minor or ozone leagues. (Updated 04/2016)
7. Minor League - Ten (10) runs or three (3) outs complete an inning. Exception: In the event of an out of the park (over the fence) home run, all runs count.
8. A game is an official game if one team is ahead by ten (10) runs at the end of four (4) innings or three and one half (3 1/2) innings if the home team is ahead. This applies to Coaches' Pitch, Minor and Ozone leagues.
9. The league will furnish two (2) paid umpires for each game. In the event a certified umpire is unable to officiate a Minor or Ozone game, a certified umpire assigned to the Coaches’ Pitch field will be moved up to fill the vacant position in Minor or Ozone and the vacant position in Coaches’ Pitch will be filled by a Board Member.
10. During T-Ball games, players will receive three (3) pitches before hitting off the tee.
11. T-Ball games will consist of two innings.
12. During T-Ball Games players must stop lead runners before time can be called. Holding the ball in air above head does not stop play. Dead Ball Area over throw at 1st, 3rd, or Home base.
13. When there are 2 outs in an inning the coach has the option to provide a courtesy runner for the catcher with a player who either made the last out of the inning or a non-current offensive player without it counting as a substitute player.
14. Adopt local league option 4.17 Exc 1page 50 of 2016 Official Rules and Regulations Dixie Youth Baseball that states a team may start or end a game with a minimum of eight players. (Adopted 3-15-13)
15. A Midland team can use players from another Midland team’s roster from a lower division in the league to prevent a forfeit. (Adopted 1-13-15)
16. Coaches Pitch league option to change rule 9 to say the batter will be allowed 6 pitches or 3 strikes. The batter will be called out after the 6th pitch unless the 6th pitch is a foul ball.
1. The Board must approve all sponsors and the teams to which the sponsors are assigned.
2. Sponsors may not automatically have a child placed on a team. The Board has the right to authorize a sponsor/team trade in the case of a sponsor's child being drafted to a different team.
Click attached file to to see in PDF format
|2018 Midland GROUND RULES_rev0118.pdf|